Vivint Authorized Retailer Manchester
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Manchester & Surrounding Areas

Common causes of residential fires in Manchester and how to avoid them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are numerous hazards you have to think about as a property owner. Fire is chief among them, as it can occur in any place and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States because of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were more than 350,000 recorded incidents. Thankfully, there are things you can do to prevent them. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in Manchester.

What starts residential fires in Manchester?

Fires can start in any location and without warning, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a garbage can or an ignored stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most widespread types of residential fires in Manchester and elsewhere. Neglected stovetops are the main culprit, so always pay attention to that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that putting water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
  • Heating: Area heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Using them for long periods may cause inner pieces to wear out and spark. Putting heaters by combustible materials like bedding and drapes or using worn cords may also lead to disastrous results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and ought to be inspected regularly.
  • Electrical: Worn out wiring, faulty outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are several of the ways electrical problems result in fires. Never operate an appliance with a frayed cord, and make certain ignitable objects like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it inspected immediately.
  • Candles: Wherever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and typically result from carelessness. Placing candles too close to combustible materials like drapery or keeping them within range of a curious pet will often result in disaster.
  • Smoking: Even with the overall decline in smoking across the country, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette still burning or disposing of smoldering ashes carelessly can give rise to destructive results.

The most effective way to prevent house fires in Manchester is to be attentive at all times. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle burning unattended, and discard cigarettes properly. If you need to use a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that has an automatic shut-off feature in the event it tips over.

Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Manchester

You ought to have smoke detectors on all floors and more by sleeping areas. But you can take your safety to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also be triggered due to rising heat. Additionally, because they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring professionals whenever a disaster takes place. This is a nice feature, specifically when you’re not home to hear the alarm and phone the fire department yourself.

Safeguard your home against common dangers with a Vivint smart home in Manchester

Elevate the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll appreciate the instant alerts to your smartphone and the reassurance that you get with professional monitoring. Contact (802) 944-4500 to talk with a Vivint representative.